Wednesday, 7 October 2015

Week 3 H/W

Requirements for a production
I will be producing a web-serial production. The genre for this will be a teen thriller/drama because my target audience is aimed at teenagers. This production is a serial as the plot of the serial continues with each episode picking up where it was left off. I will be using a single camera as it will help me to focus more on detail which is beneficial as I will have a good amount of time to edit. Furthermore, I have time to plan out the best shots and camera angles in advance to shooting.
Source of finance
My sixth form will provide me with the essential equipment needed to complete my production; such as a camera, tripod, electrical lighting and headphones. Actors for my production will perform in my serial for free as they have chosen to study Drama. Moreover, the cost for travel will be free as cast and crew have a free travel oyster card. Having a large amount of support from a sixth form/college is very relaxing as oppose to making a professional film. Some film producers use their own savings to invest (fund) their own film, this is because they know their film will make a great profit for them in the long-term. On the other side, other producers receive financial support through investors, private finance, the BFI or the National Lottery. Whereas, some need a kick starter(s), in which regular people will donate money for the film to be produced. In a film production, things such as: equipment, transport, talent (cast and actors), crew (production team), props and facility hire will all need to be paid for. However, as I have support from my sixth form – it will not cost me a thing. Although, I may need to feed my cast and crew which could cost £10+.
Time
It is very important to keep to the deadlines of productions in Media. This is for the reason that; if you make a deal (sign a contract) with an investor to produce a production before a certain date and it isn’t done – they may have authority to sue you. It is helpful to set a date for shooting of production and inform all who will be involved so that there are no complications before the deadline. I will have filmed and edited my first web-serial before the deadline which is Friday 9th at 5pm. This is so that I get a grade for my work.
I will shoot my web-serial on Thursday - after sixth form l which is when all of my team members will be available. I will then edit my production on the afternoon of Friday. Most of my team members (cast and crew) are available after sixth form, as well as I.
Locations (& permissions)
When scouting for a location to shoot a production – it may be quite tricky to find the exact place that fits the scenery you would like. This is why it is helpful to call a location management company or Media centre. Giving them a clear description of what you would like will then set them off to search areas that are suitable for your production. Moreover, using Google Maps could also be helpful to find the place you are looking for.
The BFS (Boroughs Film Services) are able to let you know if it is acceptable to shoot in public locations and advise you if you may need to contact the local police for the shooting of the production. If notification is not given to the authority of a certain location, you could be fined from £25 - £100.


I have used Google Maps to find the location where I will be filming. It is local - near Eltham High Street. This is convenient as it is only a few bus stops away from where our sixth form is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment